- 1 1/2 cups sifted plain flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 2/3 cup caster sugar
- 3 lightly beaten eggs
- 1 cup chopped dark chocolate
- 1/2 cup chopped dried figs
- Preheat oven to 190°C. Place flour in a large bowl with baking powder, cocoa powder and caster sugar. In a separate bowl, combine eggs, chocolate and figs. Gradually add egg mixture to flour mixture, stirring to form a stiff dough.
- Transfer dough to an even work surface, lightly dusted with flour, and knead briefly with your hands until smooth. Divide dough in half and shape into two long logs. Place logs on a baking tray lined with non-stick baking paper and press along top of log to flatten slightly. Bake for 20 minutes, remove from oven and stand aside to cool for 15 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 150°C. Cut logs into 1cm-thick slices, place on baking trays and cook for another 10-15 minutes or until hard. Cool on a wire rack. Serve as a snack or after-dinner treat.