3 medium raw firm mangoes-chopped in chunks
1 tbsp crushed mustard seeds
1/2 tbsp crushed fenugreek seeds (methi)
1/4 tbsp aniseed (sauf)
1/2 cup red chilli powder
1/2 cup salt
1/5 cup turmeric powder
1 cup oil (any refined oil)
glass, china or earthen pickle jar
- Place chunks in jar. Sprinkle rock salt & 1/2 the turmeric.
- Shake the jar so the pieces are evenly coated. Keep aside shake jar in a pendulum motion every 10-12 hours, for 2 days.
- On the third day empty the contents into a non-iron colander and allow the water to drain for 15-20 minutes.
- Spread out on an old kitchen towel for 1 1/2 to 2 hours. Do not use white cloth, since turmeric will stain the fabric or use disposable.
- In a large plastic or glass bowl, mix all the dry ingredients left.
- Add the mangoes add half the oil mix very well with clean dry hands or a spatula.
- Transfer to a clean jar and press down lightly.
- Pour remaining oil on top. Allow to marinate for 10 days before using.
- Take out in small quantities for use in a small glass jar.
- The main jar should always have a layer of oil floating on top